Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Delighting in the Detail


It's been a while since I posted on this blog.

That's partly because I've been busy working on my new business as a freelance writer. And it's partly because it's not a great time of year for taking photographs.

That latter statement is not entirely true. There's never a bad time of year for taking photographs. Every season and every time of day presents opportunities. There is always a new angle to be found even on the very familiar.

But natural light is in short supply in the UK at this time of year. We do get some bright, sunny days but the hours of darkness far outnumber those of daylight. Macro photography, as I've discovered, needs plenty of light.

A good solution for photography of small objects indoors would be a lightbox, allowing pictures to be taken at any time of day or night. They're not difficult to make, apparently, and at some point I'll try my hand at it.

For the moment I'll continue to grab snaps when I can in natural light. I'm taking quite a few macro photos to illustrate my online articles. Everyday objects are useful subject matter when taken in close-up.

I mustn't leave it too long before I post on this blog again!

No comments:

Post a Comment