|We've eaten all the mince pies|
so I guess I'll just have to make some more!
Delia's mincemeat recipe never lets me down and I make this every year because it isn't too sweet and it never boils over the sides of the pies. I always leave out the peel and almonds though. The sweet pastry is easily made in a food processor.
|Fresh from the oven|
I only used half the pastry and froze the remainder. There will also be some crumble left, this too will freeze.
You will need: 12 cup bun tin, greased and mincemeat
Makes: 12 mince pies
For the sweet pastry:
225g plain flour, 115g butter, 50g lard, 25g icing sugar, 1 egg
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Sift flour into a bowl add the butter and lard. Rub the fat into the flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in the icing sugar and then the beaten egg. Bring together to form a smooth dough. Place in plastic bag and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
2. Roll out just over half the pastry to 3mm thickness and cut out circles large enough to fit the base of the tart tins.
3. Place a dessert spoon of mincemeat into each pastry base.
For the crumble topping:
150g fridge cold butter, 150g self raising flour, 75g demerara sugar, flaked almonds
1. Cube the butter and rub into the self raising flour until large flakes are formed. Add the demerara sugar and stir.
2. Top the mincemeat with crumble and scatter over a few flaked almonds.
3. Place in the oven for 20 minutes until the crumble is golden.
4. Leave in the tin to cool for 10 minutes and then remove and place on a cooling rack.