Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Peas please

This is one of my first macro photographs, taken yesterday. I've just bought a macro lens for my Sony A350 - the Sigma 50mm F2.8 DG Macro - and I was keen to try it out.

The peas were freshly picked from my garden, the first of this summer's crop. I wanted to re-create other photos that I've seen of fresh fruit and vegetables, making them appear fresh and appetizing.

The process was simple enough. I washed the peas and put them into a bowl. Washing left tiny droplets of water on them, which helps to give that fresh appearance.

The camera was hand-held for the shot. Other details are:

- 1/25 shutter speed
- f4.0 aperture
- 100 ISO

Most of the settings were automatic, although I focused manually. I'm already sensing a preference for manual rather than autofocus.

I take photos in RAW and JPEG format, performing post-processing on the RAW file. In this case the peas were not actually as green as the picture suggests, so I altered the hue to improve the quality of the colour.

I'm quite pleased with the result. It's not as sharp as I'd like; my preference would be to have more in focus. I need to work on depth of field and learn the best combination of ISO and aperture to get better results.

The full picture is available at my Flickr account.

No comments:

Post a Comment