Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Introducing The Digital "Wet Plates" Photo Gallery!

Photo © Tewfic El-Sawy-All Rights Reserved
The Digital Wet Plates Gallery
I took advantage of the lull during the past few days to work on a personal (and fun) project I've been wanting to do for a while...and made some progress in it. .

I've been quite public with my recently found affection for the Hipstamatic's new Tintype SnapPack and it's accessory films, and if the weather hadn't been so cruelly cold in New York City, I would've indulged in much more street photography using this combo last week. I've also been very impressed with Alien Skin's Exposure 4, which allowed me to process some of my photographs to look like pseudo-Daguerreotypes or wet plate images. It was especially effective when I produced Hilltribes In The Mist; a multimedia piece featuring my photographs made in Vietnam's Sapa and Bac Ha regions.


So it was a natural progression to start The Digital Wet Plates; a new blog-based website of a collection of travel portraits I made during my numerous photo expeditions. Not all the travel portraits lend themselves well to being processed in that fashion, and it's hit and miss with many of them...so I have to process the photograph and then decide whether it looks authentic or not.


This gallery is far from being complete, and I'll go as far as possible in my inventory of photographs. I will eventually organize these portraits in pages according the regions.


Oh, and another thing...in a previous post I mentioned a company called PostalPix who fuses iPhone photographs on thin aluminum sheets of varying sizes, and I thought that it may duplicate not only the wet plate look, but also its feel. The company responded and sent me a discount coupon to try the service out. I emailed back the photograph of the Rebari Herdsman you see in this post, and we'll see what it looks and feels like when it's returned to me.


Note: I'm not compensated in any way by Alien Skinware, nor by PostalPix (except for the $15 coupon it sent me).



No comments:

Post a Comment