Thursday, November 8, 2012

First Snow of the Year… Not the Best Time for a Snow Storm

So, just as some parts of NY/NJ were starting to recover from the hurricane, we got our first snow of the year. It wasn’t anything severe, just a few inches, but with all the problems the hurricane created, the issues just piled on.

I barely managed to get back home from the office last night. It took me three and a half hours because they shut down the railroad. This morning it seems to be running on its modified, post hurricane schedule again.

I still don’t have cable, internet, or phone service in my area. When I finally got home, I figured I would make the best of the situation, and decided to spend part of the night out. I have a pair of new rain pants, and I wanted to see how well they do in the snow. Sorry for the poor quality pictures. It was night time, and I have no idea how to take night time pictures.

011-2

I’ve also been eager to start winter testing of my Kovea Spider stove. I took it out and melted some snow. It performed very well, although, the temperatures were not much below 30F (0C).

029-2

My tiny new Black Diamond Gizmo head lamp also performed well. I was worries about it’s low output, but it was more than enough.

Anyway, just wanted to give you an update. I still have power for now. Still no internet access at home, so posts will continue to be limited.

No comments:

Post a Comment