Monday, January 2, 2012

POV: TIME's Lightbox 365 Photographs

Photo © Amr Abdallah Dalsh/ (Reuters)

LightBox, the blog by TIME’s photo department, is one of my daily photography pilgrimage stops, and it ought to be yours as well. It has just compiled a 2011 yearbook, picking a photo for each day of the year.

Since I am always pleasantly surprised when I particularly like a photograph from various news sources and it subsequently wins an award of some sort, I will try my luck with the 365 photographs picked by the TIME photo editors. I have to say it was a tough call as the editors have done a really terrific job in choosing these photographs.

Nevertheless, out of these 365 photographs, I chose 5 that most appealed to me both from an aesthetic standpoint, and for the subject matter they cover.

My first choice is the November 22 photograph (shown above) of an Egyptian protester tossing a tear gas canister, which had been thrown by the riot police, during clashes near Tahrir Square in Cairo. The photograph is by Amr Abdallah Dalsh (Reuters). In my view, this photograph ought to garner many photojournalism awards.

Photo © Moises Saman-All Rights Reserved
My second choice is this magnificent image of September 9 by photographer Moises Saman of Libyan Eyadea Elspaie visiting the gravesite of his son, Tareq Elspaie, who was killed by Gaddafi loyalists in August. The sorrowful posture of this father, under a dramatic sky, is just a Biblical scene.

Photo © Abir Sultan-EPA-All Rights Reserved
My third choice is the August 17 'penumbra' photograph by Abir Sultan-EPA of a Hasidic community member praying in a cave of an old Arab house in Lifta (Jerusalem), Israel. The man's stance in the darkness, and the shaft of light on the man's tallit or prayer shawl, may perhaps be interpreted in different ways, depending on one's political agenda. For me, its just a great picture.

Photo © Matt Dunham/AP-All Rights Reserved
My fourth choice is the October 19 photograph by Matt Dunham—AP of an Irish traveler in front of a burning barricade during evictions at the Dale Farm travelers site, near Basildon England, 30 miles east of London. This was a huge story in the United Kingdom, and being in London at the time, I recall that it was wall-to wall coverage of this rather localized issue. Here again, a very well composed Biblical scene. I also nod my head at the fact that the upper right hand corner was left untouched...even with what appears to be an electrical or telephone cable.

Photo © Spencer Platt-Getty- All Rights Reserved

My fifth choice is the September 30 photograph of the OWS movement by Spencer Platt (Getty Images). The photograph is of a Wall Street protester from upstate New York, holding up a sign in New York City. I've seen many of the OWS photographs, and this one in particular resonated with me...perhaps because the protestor is masked by the poster? It was a faceless movement after all.

There they are...my five choices. Will any of these go on and win awards? We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment