Sunday, August 7, 2011

Review: Thai Square, Sevenoaks, Kent


Thai Square are an upmarket chain of Thai restaurants - there are eleven in premium areas of Greater London and six in select areas of Outer London.

I chose the Sevenoaks branch because I was on a family visit to my daughter who lives in Kent and it was wonderful to visit Sevenoaks again.

There is plenty of parking in Sevenoaks and Thai Square is situated on the main street of London Road, the Sevenoaks branch is located in the historic former 'Dorset Arms'.

You can sit and relax in this beautifully decorated room with cocktails, drinks or coffee.


The extensive menu is thoughtfully set out with explanations of the many dishes. Our waiter asked us if we had any allergies before taking our order, which impressed both of us. The friendly waiter eagerly helped with choices and recommendations, without being assuming, and this again was very much appreciated.


The food used is authentic Thai, with ingredients freshly flown in daily from Thailand and with this in mind we just knew we were about to enjoy something special.

Whilst our starters were being freshly prepared we were brought a huge dish of prawn crackers and a chilli dip. We had to tell ourselves to stop enjoying them so much as it would be time for our starters to arrive.


For starters we chose a Trio of Satays - a combination of chicken, prawn and beef satays served with peanut sauce. Also, Royal Dim Sum - steamed parcels of prawn, chicken and crab meat accompanied by sweet soya sauce.

My satays were perfectly cooked and accompanied by a Thai coleslaw salad, my husbands dim sum was taste perfect and both starters were a feast for the eyes.

As you can imagine we were both very happy diners by now and looking forward to our mains. I chose Goong Kratiem Phriktai - A succulent stir-fried preparation with river king prawns, ground black pepper and fresh green peppercorns. Accompanied by Pad Thai - Pad Thai Noodles with king prawns, peanuts, egg and vegetables. My husband chose Gang Daeng Nuea - Premium red coconut curry of tender beef fillet accompanied by Kao Kati - steamed coconut rice.


When our main courses arrived I couldn't help but say wow, they looked picture perfect. My prawns were succulent and had been cooked to perfection, the sauce was a taste sensation.

My husbands curry had a generous amount of beef, and the sauce exactly the right amount of heat, the recommendation from the waiter to order coconut rice was perfect.

Now for dessert, I couldn't make up my mind and the waiter helped out with several recommendations, still a difficult choice but it was Home-made Thai coconut ice cream with exotic fruit for me and my husband chose Baked banana served warm with vanilla ice cream and toasted almonds. Both desserts were served beautifully and tasted as good as they looked.




The interior is upmarket contemporary Thai, several walls are adorned with a Bas-relief and there are also fun things such as a Thai Statue with an archway either side which appears to have been built from Jenga blocks, and a show case holding genuine Thai artefacts. The atmosphere is set by tea lights in beautiful glass holders, the tables, chairs and crockery are Thai modern. The restaurant is well looked after, spotlessly clean and the decoration is stunning. There are so many special things to see you really need to go a couple of times to appreciate the beautiful interior.


Ambience is always an important factor and here you have it in bucketloads! I was really excited throughout the whole meal As I sat eating my meal I said to my husband when can we come again? Yes, we are going again - this time to another Thai Square Restaurant for a family meal with my daughter, her husband and two small children.

Thank you Jane and all at Thai Square for a wonderful evening.

Thai Square
22 London Road
Sevenoaks
Kent
TN13 1AJ

Tel: 017 3246 2785

No comments:

Post a Comment