Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Widows of Vrindavan



Trailer from White Shadows - Copyright 2006-2007 Tewfic El-Sawy

One of my photographic projects which left me with an indelible sense of compassion is the one I did of the widows of Vrindavan in India. As I write in White Shadows, my multimedia project on the subject:

"I am not a polemicist, nor an activist nor am I sufficiently knowledgeable of Indian social issues and culture, but I sense that religious tradition (in this case, Hinduism) is used to justify the dreadful treatment of widows, and that it is really poverty that lies behind the decision to force them out from their families."

There are many talented photographers who have also documented the widows of Vrindavan. I intend to introduce you to them in the coming few days.

My multimedia gallery 'White Shadows' can be seen here

No comments:

Post a Comment