Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Phil Borges

I've had the pleasure of meeting Phil Borges in his home town of Seattle in 2004, and photographed alongside him in Dharmasala in March 2005 when I was assisting in his Bridges of Understanding program. His work is just superlative, and his signature style of black and white portraits with the subject's skin toned in is recognizable anywhere.

As Phil and I were photographing novices at the Chortling monastery in Dharmasala, I couldn't help but notice how our styles were different. I am a fast photographer, triggering the shutter as fast as I can....while he is slow and deliberate. I watched as he left his Canon cameras to the side, while he gently spoke to the novices and made them comfortable with our presence. He studied the narrow rays of sunlight that shone in the room, and set the novices in the positions where he could exploit that light. The setting up probably took 4-5 minutes (a virtual eternity to me), and only when he saw exactly what he wanted, did he pick up his cameras. I learnt more from watching Phil than I did from all the photography lectures I attended.

Phil’s current project, Women Empowered, introduces some of the extraordinary women in the developing world who are breaking through gender barriers and conventions in order to enhance their well being and the well being of their community.

A true and tested humanitarian photographer, his beautiful work can be seen at his website: Phil Borges

Image Copyright Phil Borges

No comments:

Post a Comment