Monday, July 9, 2012

WTF? Not Even A Plug?

Photo © Tewfic El-Sawy-All Rights Reserved

A few days ago, and such a beautiful summer morning it was, I get an email from someone (a writer) who compliments me on my photographs, and asks if whether I'd be amenable to send one of them to illustrate a European blog (whose link was provided). It was implied there would be no payment for the  photograph.

Before emailing back in a caustic tone (as I usually do to such emails), or ignoring the implied message and provide the contractual terms and pricing tariff for the photograph required, I checked into this European blog and saw it was beautifully crafted...a sort of a compendium for fine arts, culture, photography and other high brow stuff...and if statistics were correct, has a decent readership. And it was based (despite it being in English) in a country from which I have no clients for my photo expeditions-workshops.

So I swallowed hard, and replied to the request, in essence agreeing to provide a photograph on the condition that it was (1) properly credited to me, (2) that my two main websites and this blog would be highlighted, and (3) a paragraph about me and my photo expeditions-workshops (a paragraph that I would write up) be added at the bottom of the post.

Yes, I know...this is a lopsided exchange, more advantageous to the European blog than to me. It'd get a lovely image for nothing...but I reckoned this could've advertised my photo expeditions-workshops to a 'new' country, and to a well-heeled demographic/readership interested in arts and cultures. It would have been a one-off thing...and perhaps it would've paid off...or maybe not.

The response to my generosity? Something to the effect that it would only be a copyright notice...and nothing more.

Whoa! Isn't that the ultimate chutzpah?

So readers of this blog post...what should be my response? I have my four-lettered response ready to go....but if you like, make your suggestions on my Facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment