Sunday, January 3, 2010

Holiday Snaps with a Macro Lens


There's no shortage of subject matter for the macro lens over the Christmas holidays.

Lights, decorations, gifts, food - the list is almost endless. What is difficult, at least for me, is finding the time. Getting that great photo can take a while as you search out the best angle, find the right lighting and then experiment with different apertures and shutter speeds.

I decided to focus on photographing Christmas tree decorations. These tiny ornaments make an appearance once a year when, for a few weeks, they combine with the tree lights to glisten and glow, brightening up the darkest time of year.

Armed with my Sony A350 DSLR and Sigma 50mm macro I set about trying to capture something of Christmas through the lens. The only other piece of equipment was a borrowed tripod - an essential for indoor photography in low light conditions.

I spent about four hours taking photographs of two different trees and I'm pleased with the results. I'm still working out how to create pin-sharp images but these will do for now. The process taught me a few lessons about macro photography that I'll share in due course - the main one being that a tripod alone is not the answer to using a slow shutter speed.

The pictures themselves will come in useful later this year as illustrations for seasonal articles.

No comments:

Post a Comment