Sunday, March 25, 2007

Beyond The Frame: Indian Gypsies

Image Copyright © 2003 Tewfic El-Sawy-All Rights Reserved

At the end of the Pushkar camel fair a few years ago, I traveled in a crowded and creaky train between Phulad and Jojawar in South Rajasthan. The train stopped at Jojawar station, and I disembarked along with a few locals still dressed in their festival finery and carrying shopping bags heavy with presents for their families.

Near the small one-room stationhouse, I noticed a small group of Indians, dressed in colorful dresses and turbans. These were Lambanis or banjaras, who originate from these parts of Rajasthan. They are part of the nomadic tribes of India, and travel from place to place in search of a livelihood. They have their own language which has no script, their own culture and a unique social structure. It is said that the Roma gypsies in Europe are decended from the Lambanis tribes.

A couple stood out because of their dress and friendly demeanor, so I approached them and after a few moments of indecision, they agreed to be photographed. I wasn't sure if they were husband and wife (and I still don't know), but after a few photographs and good laughs, I jokingly gestured the man (who wore a necklace and had long hair tucked under his turban) if he could get closer to the woman. He surprised me by quickly hugging the woman...a public display which is highly unusal in rural India, and which was accompanied by the hoots and catcalls of his group. I tried hard to get him to hug the woman again, but to no avail. The fleeting moment had passed, and it was not repeated.

This photograph appeared in a two-page spread in the Digital Photographer magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment