Saturday, October 31, 2009

ABEL & COLE ORGANIC FILLET STEAK REVIEW


Following on from my two other Abel & Cole reviews, which you can see here, Victoria asked if I would like to sample their Organic Fillet Steak.

Abel & Cole are experts at packaging and they send chilled goods in a polystyrene insulated box (which is returnable), lift the lid and there are your chilled food items in perfect condition, alongside a few reusable ice blocks. I should mention, Abel & Cole products are delivered by a friendly and polite driver.


My fillet steak was delivered alongside the free range chicken which was double wrapped, and there wasn't any sign of leakage from either product.

I cooked my fillet steak to medium - first heat your griddle pan, then prepare the fillet steak by anointing it with olive oil, season with freshly ground black pepper and sea salt. To the hot and smoking pan I added the steak, cooking the first side for 3 minutes, turning it over and cooking for another 2 minutes. Remove from the pan and place on a warm plate, cover loosely with foil to rest for 5 minutes or so to ensure you have a juicy and tender piece of steak.

The fillet steak seemed to vary on tenderness, graduating from tender at one end to meltingly tender at the other, and was very tasty and succulent.

I made a simple red wine sauce to serve with my fillet steak, which is basically cooking a small chopped onion in butter, adding red wine to the pan, reducing to a third, then adding a couple of teaspoons of redcurrant jelly. Lastly, adding small cubes of butter to both enrich the sauce and give a wonderful sheen.

If you are looking for a reliable, quality and traceable fillet steak for a special occasion, I wouldn't think you could go far wrong with one from Abel & Cole.

No comments:

Post a Comment