Sunday, December 17, 2006

The Year 2006

This year I made a real effort in the fruit and veg department and joined the box scheme - every Thursday its 'what's in the box'. We've had a cabbage so big it wouldn't fit into the fridge!! A butternut squash of similar proportions. I was frantically trying to think of how many ways you can cook a squash. A bit like the turkey after Christmas Day when you try to invent ways to use the thing up!! To sum up, the box scheme has been a hit and it is one of the better things I have done this year. In the Summer I tried growing some strawberries - out of a total crop of four the squirrel had two and I had two. The runner beans were a dismal failure for the first time. The dwarf beans and rhubarb were a definate winner. I have also planted a variety of small fruit bushes and only time will tell if they are going to be a hit. In the Summer of 2007 I will be able to tell you about my successes and failures on the small vegetable patch.

No comments:

Post a Comment